Sunday, June 22, 2008

Open


Prior to our infertility/adoption journey I never considered myself an "open book". My thoughts were relegated to the back of my mind (I said thoughts not opinions) and Joe and I kept our personal life well personal. Somehow in the midst of our journey we realized God wanted us to share our lives with people. Interestingly enough this revelation brought us to the understanding that what we were trying to hide was exactly what we needed to share; our hurts, failures and weaknesses. Now I still don't believe that airing all dirty laundry is positive or helpful but in opening up about our struggles we have discovered how very not alone we are (sorry for the grammar Mrs. Finlay).



I bring this up to preface the story I am about to share. I had not originally intended on blogging this particular day, but I believe that God may want to use our story in someone else's life. This story is not just about me, Joe or Zeke, and for that reason I hesitate. I am now (with permission) sharing about 2 individuals who have become very dear to our family.



Friday, June 20th, we had the privilege of spending the day with Zeke's birthmom and her son. As I've mentioned before Zeke's adoption is an "open adoption", meaning we have ongoing contact with his birthmother. I cannot begin to explain what an honor and blessing friday was for me. I was able to once again witness first hand the woman who loves my son as much as I do. It was a joy to watch her share tender moments with the child she unselfishly placed in another woman's arms for his benefit. I hope you are able to see the beautiful relationship I see in the pictures below.






My most favorite picture of the day!





Zeke was more interested in his feet than the camera!

10 comments:

Leah said...

WOW what an amazing moment! It brought tears to my eyes!

Stephanie said...

Sarah! Your post is so sweet. I seriously should not have read or seen the pictures at work. :) These pictures truely capture LOVE!

The Abbe Family Journey said...

Wow...how neat. It's amazing how much our lives change when we deal with infertility issues.

JustEnoughStuff said...

What a sweet moment for you all. I'm sure that this will be a good memory for the rest of yours and Zeke's life. I'm so glad that it was such a special day.

Loren and Kathy said...

On Friday June 20th., I was able to witness two incrediable women with one common love, for one little boy! Zeke has two amazing mom's!! I pray that he will always know just how special he is in both of their lives. Sarah & Niki, "thank-you" for allowing me to be a part of that very special day.........it will always be tucked away deep in my heart! I love you both for the selfless mom's that you are! You are a inspiration to MANY!
Love
Mom Warta

Karen Frank said...

Amazing! Sarah..thank you for sharing this portion of your life. It's all the hurts, failures and weaknesses that God uses in us. Thank you for being "real". What a precious moment that will last a long time!

Stephanie said...

God works in wonderful ways, doesn't He? The pictures are beautiful ... even more so the story behind them.

Melissa said...

Sarah, this brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing time you must have had.. to spend time with the woman who gave you a part of herself that would complete your family. These pictures will be so special for Zeke.

Sarah said...

What a special day! Thank you for sharing this day with us! I know it will be treasured forever!

Rich and Karyn Speakman said...

Amazing. I'm so happy that the day went well. I know you were so excited about it :)