Friday, July 11, 2008

Goodbye Sandman Hello No Doze!

Last night marked the first anniversary of our last full night of rest. You know the kind where you say good night to your spouse, roll over and sleep without interuptionfor about 8 hours and at that perfect time when you're fully recooped the sun wakes you.

Okay I can explain. Today is the 1 year anniversary of the day we received "the call". We were so excited to hear Abby's voice on the line requesting to talk to both of us simultaneously. Now here's where the sleepless part comes in. She proceeded to tell us we had been matched with a birthmother who was scheduled for c-section in 9 days! I haven't slept a full night since then.

Immediately my nigths became filled with worries, fears and dreams. We worried the birthmother wouldn't like us, that she would find this gift too heartbreaking for her, that someone would talk her out of her decision. I worried I would not be prepared for the task ahead of me (I only had 9 days and several lists to complete!).

Then Ezekiel Jonathan made his entrance. Sleep seemed to vanish from our lives completely. The nights became a mirror of the day, feeding, burping, changing and rocking every 2 hours. Our little miracle began to stretch out his sleeping to 3 and 4 hours and again I worried. Was he breathing? Did I need to wake him to eat? What if he cried and I had slept through it?

Alas we completed the transition to an 8 hour stretch and yet I'm still awake. This time I worry that I'm going to blink and miss it all. I worry that Zeke will never fully know the love his birthfamily has for him or how much he has completed our family. I worry that I'm not a proper example and I know I'll never be the woman my mother is. So I toss and turn and yes, I get up and check and recheck to see that little chest rise and fall throughout the night. And occasionally I rest. I rest in the assurance that our Heavenly Father loves Zeke more than I could ever imagine and for whatever crazy reason He has entrusted this treasure to us for the time being. It's our job to give him back to God...Now I'm back to worryin!

5 comments:

Loren and Kathy said...

All day today my thoughts have been on that evening when you came over and couldn't wait to share the good news with Dad and I......the way we responded was not what I had always imagined it would be. We had watched you and Joe through so much and with it came so many disappointments. Matt, Jaime and the girls were to leave for New York in 4 days and I didn't know if we had enough strength left to help you get through this new disappointment, my faith was at a all time low! I will never forget your words when we expressed our concern on getting too excited....."I choose to be excited and happy even if is only for the moment" it spoke volumes to us both! The next few days were amazing to see our mighty God work each detail out one at a time. I will always draw strenth from that special memory! Zeke had already entered our lives and we would learn to once again trust God!
Love,
Mom & Zeke's Nana Warta!

Jaime said...

Sarah, that was too beautiful... and how right you are! Thanks for that reminder. With all the sleepless nights, I wonder how we do it, day after day. Emily has been sleeping in later than Mya on occasion, and I get up to see that rising and falling chest. Oh... motherhood. It's hard to fathom how much more our God loves us.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to motherhood! I hope you know the worries never cease and there will be many more sleepless nights but SO WORTH IT. Like babysitters, their first day at school, spending the night with friends, going swimming when you're not there, sports, first car and the list goes on...Now you know why your Mom worried about you and always sent you off with a list of DO'S & DONT'S! Have a great day and enjoy all the little moments. p.s. I loved the pics of you & Zeke.

Brian and Angela said...

Zeke is truly a gift from God. I don't think mother's ever get over the urge to go check on their sleeping child. I still check on my 3 a few times before dozing off to sleep. Love you guys!

Rich and Karyn Speakman said...

AMEN.