We're all familiar with those sentimental ads about how "having a baby changes everything". Not long after Zeke made his arrival we realized the truth to the slogan. What they failed to mention is that having a toddler changes even more! Here are a few examples:
We have a new house rule-No playing in the toilet : (
I receive daily pedicures for free. While sneaking out of the bedroom at naptime I tripped over the radio which was playing lullabyes (My ankle is now swollen and blue). My toes have numerous scuff marks and virtually no polish thanks to a certain pair of size 2 shoes (incidentally they are not less painful simpy b/c they're smaller). The tops of my feet receive nightly massages from the soup cans and pans which are dropped on them while Zeke "helps" me prepare dinner.
After painstakenly (literally) preparing a family meal. I find my seat only to receive the universal sign for "I'm finished" (spaghetti noodles on the wall).
Instead of leisurely hanging out at the fridge to decide what evening snack you're craving, we make our decision and then survey the room. If Zeke is on the other side of the room you may have just enough time to quickly open the door, retrieve the item and shut the fridge before he reaches you. Should you fail to make your selection before the speed demon reaches you, you are responsible for tantrum which is certain to follow.
On the rare occasion someone opts to accept a ride from us (they'd usually rather pay the gas), we must first clear the back seat of all wayward cheerios and grammies. Once the key is in the ignition we make a mad dash for the cd player before Bert and Ernie belt out "I'd like to live in the sea" and we always warn passangers of the ever flying sippy cup (once again the universal sign for "I'm finished").
At the end of the day I find myself sneaking in for one more peak of that precious toe head and asking God not to let these tiresome days slip by too quickly. Yes, having a toddler changes everything!



8 comments:
thats motherhood in a nutshell!
very well written sarah
Wow Sarah! You said it best! Max is so in the same place right now!
Zeke is getting so big and so handsome!!!
Amen and Amen!
How true it is!!! Tired and worn down and not wanting to miss a single second! What blessings!
Hahaha! You hit the nail on the head :) We live in the SAME world!
You have no idea!!!! I'm now on the otherside of what I thought would never be........Ashlie is married, Katie is leaving for college in a few weeks, Cody starts High School, and dad and I find ourselve ratteling in this once too small, but now too big home all too often!! I know you already know this, but enjoy this time.......it will be these memories that you will cherish when your where we're at. I'm so thankful for God allowing me the privalage of being a "stay at home mom", with all of you........even though I really thought that you would be dependant on me forever! I love you, and miss the cans of corn and pots and pans being dropped on MY feet!! I love you & miss you!
Love,
Mom, Nana Warta
Yeah, Zeke is walking! Just to warn you & Joe that the two of you will not have a second to breathe easily over the next 3 years. It will get easier along the way, but 4 is truly the magic number of an independent yet still maturing child. Have fun! These years will be gone before you know it. Love you all!
I am familiar with the sign for I'm finished, it's the same at our house right now:) He is getting so big!
Post a Comment