Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Melody In The Siren

Not long after we moved east, I discovered a sound that can stop me in my tracks and sends chills down my spine: the tornado siren. While the locals have seemingly grown accustomed to this summertime ritual, I loathe it. Oh I can appreciate the cause and am even grateful to live within hearing distance, however I have never quite come to an amicable relationship with the warning device.


Two weeks ago Joe, Zeke and I were home recovering from an exhausting day of graduation party hopping. Zeke had retired for the night and Joe and I were enjoying the cool of the evening while watching a movie with the windows opened. And there it went. The low hum that quickly escalates into an all out scream, alerting listeners of impending danger and warning all to take cover.

Truthfully, 2 weeks ago I was actually thinking of how far I'd come. While the obnoxious screams still sent me running for flashlights, blankets and pillows, I resisted the urge to rip Zeke from his slumber and clamor for the bathtub. I was proud of how far I'd come and even managed to calmly fall asleep less than an hour after the warnings expired.

The next morning we awoke to discover the alarm had been much more than an irritation. Several tornadoes had touched down, literally in our own backyard. We received a call from Joe's youngest brother letting us know they were safe but the tornado had ravaged his neighbor's homes barely 400 yards from his. 5 people lost their lives that night.

Needless to say, when that familiar hum began last night I went into hysteria! While Joe scrambled for radio stations and radar maps, Zeke and I huddled in the bathtub singing "Jesus Loves Me". Both media venues confirmed funnel cloud spotting but quickly reassured us that the eminent danger was over and we could leave our hiding place.

I've never been good at poker and being the brave mother I am, my anxious 2 year old had now inherited my panic and was not even about to let me out of his sight. His bedtime had come and gone 1 hour previously and so we agreed to spend some time rocking and snuggling. That's when I found it. The melody of the tornado siren. The beautiful noise that reminded me to stop, take hold of the ones I love, and not let go. What a beautiful song!

2 comments:

Cody C Warta said...

Yes Sarah, it's the simple things in life that remind us to slow down......and hug those we love. So glad your all safe, and I'm grateful for those annoying sirens! Love you, mom

Jaime said...

Hearing it from you is enough to make me glad we don't have the need for the sirens. I don't know how you could plain ignore them. But, how to now freak out? Hmm. Is it possible? Remind us not to visit in the summer. I don't think you would have enough bathtub space. Can you imagine?! Love, Jaime