We've all heard the clever rewordings of the title of mom. Oh you know; "I'm not a mom, I'm a chauffeur, chef, nurse, personal assistant, CEO, financial director" and on and on the list goes. But there are just some days when no matter how you dress it up, I find myself at the grocery checkout lane staring down the supermodels once again. Their perfectly manicured nails cost more than the faded sweatshirt and jeans I've been donning since 5:30 am and their gleaming white smiles taunt me with the enemy's lie "you really can have it all". It's so easy to become discouraged and begin to think of myself as just another mom.
Have you ever read the story of the loaves and the fishes? Okay you probably have a dozen times, but have you ever stopped to think about the ordinary mom in the story? Can't find her? Keep looking, she's right in front of you. Oh you won't find her by name or even description but yet she's one of the main characters. See her now?
Yep, she's that rare gem who was up at the crack of dawn washing clothes and preparing meals. She probably had a few little tykes following her around and thus although she desperately wanted to see Jesus as He came through town, could only manage to prepare a nutritious lunch for her son and send him to meet the most important man in the world. I can picture her reminding him to be on his best behavior and take lots of photos in his mind so that he can tell her all the details when he returned. I can feel the longing of her heart as she sent him out alone and the pride when he returned with the report that her special lunch was blessed, touched and multiplied by the Creator of the universe.
So there it is, plain as day for me. God has an amazing plan for each and every day of my life and maybe He will use one of my most ordinary tasks to accomplish something extraordinary. And if He chooses not to, well, that's okay too, because He's already given me one miracle, He made me...just a mom.



8 comments:
Powerful! I'm reminded again....that your NEVER just a mom.....your the glue that holds your family and society together.....but you will seldom be seen out in the forfront......hang in there my daughter, your doing a BEAUTIFUL job!
Just what I needed today...you have no idea how close that came to my heart this morning. Sarah, you are such an amazing woman and mom! Thinking of you guys always. :)
I just had to laugh at your post because as I'm preparing to leave for Texas for 6 days, my list of "mom stuff" keeps getting longer and longer. I check one item off only to add two more. I can feel the mood in the house changing as everyone knows that Mom is going to be gone in 2 days. The list will probably never have all it's items checked off because my job as a mom is never done. Great post Sarah! I'm with you, I feel honored to be "just a mom."
Thank you. Thank you. A beautiful reminder, and glad to know someone's in my boat :)! Love you, Sarah!
Hollie
Thank you. Thank you. A beautiful reminder, and glad to know someone's in my boat :)! Love you, Sarah!
Hollie
Thank you for the beautiful & very powerful reminder.The past fews months have not been easy. Some days I find myself frustrated over whether or not I will get into the shower before noon..."just a 3-minute shower is all I am asking for", I plea. Thanks for reminding me that all the 'mom' things that I tended to that morning that kept me from getting that early morning shower is what makes me thankful that I too am...'just a mom'.
I don't know how you do your job all day. You're amazing!
You are amazing!
found this while indulging in some blog hopping while all three of my little boys are fast asleep!
what a special reminder of how amazing it is to be called 'just' a mom!
i have always liked this quote:
"For Attractive lips, speak words of kindness, For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people, For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry, For Beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day, For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone. People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and the other for helping others."
— Audrey Hepburn
I think us moms must have the most beautifual hair of all! :)
Post a Comment