Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Mother I Used To Be


I often tell people "I was a better mother before my son was born". If I think far back into the recesses of my mind I can recall a time when I knew exactly what kind of a mother I was going to be...the perfect one of course:) Well, of course that was before Zeke came along. Here's a few examples of what I mean:

The Mother I Was-
Would NEVER let a child under the age of 2 watch television, afterall experts say it's a big "no no".

The Mother I am-
Has the opening scene of Cars memorized b/c my son watches it EVERY morning.

The Mother I Was-
Would ALWAYS prepare well balanced meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and my child would eat all of it with a smile on his face.

The Mother I Am-
Last week while the rest of the family dined on Taco Salad, Zeke had a can of olives for dinner. Not to worry though, he was covered by the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie he had for snack (afterall it was oatmeal).

The Mother I Was-
Only left for church wearing clean, freshly ironed, presentable clothing.

The Mother I Am-
If the remnants of his runny nose are not on my right shoulder we're good to go. Nevermind that I may spend half the day walking around with stickers stuck to my caboose!

The Mother I Was-
When a child would express their frustrations while shopping with mom in Walmart, I would think "somebody really needs to take care of that child".

The Mother I Am-
Whispers a prayer for the poor mother and silently offer a thank you that it's not Zeke....today.

The Mother I was-
Thought twins would be fun.

The Mother I Am-
That's just funny.

The Mother I Was-
Loved to hear those 3 little words from my love.

The Mother I Am-
Now it's just 2-"Daddy's home!"

The Mother I Was-
Knew sometimes babies needed to "cry it out".

The Mother I Am-
Knows sometimes mommies do too.

The Mother I Was-
Knew laughter was the best medicine.

The Mother I Am-
Discovered a toddler's giggles can cure anything!

The Mother I Was-
Thought she knew what love was.

The Mother I Am-
Realized that having a baby is like falling in love all over again-twice. First with that new bundle and then with my husband again as I watch him become an AMAZING father to our little boy.

The Mother I Was-
Viewed every milestone as a cause for celebration.

The Mother I Am-
Celebrates every milestone publicly but privately loses a piece of her heart with each small gain of independance.

The Mother I Was-
Was a shew in for Mother of the Year

The Mother I Am-
Sees a reflection of God's grace everytime I look at my son.

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

Sarah you said it so well! I feel like this daily! Perfectly said!

THE ANDERS FAMILY said...

Well said! I am sure everyone at work is wondering why I am laughing to myself at my desk :)

JustEnoughStuff said...

What a great post. I agree completely. And didn't we all think that we weren't going to be the mother in Wal-mart with the whiny kid? I laughed hard at that one.

Rich and Karyn Speakman said...

Hahaha...the TV thing cracks me up. My brother and I debated and debated over this one (his son is three months younger than Zack). He was totally against it...making sure to tell me all about how the "studies show...", etc., I was FOR it in moderation. He told me yesterday they are shopping for a new big screen :)

Sandy McClendon said...

Sarah,
You may be too young, but have you ever heard of Erma Bombeck? You have her literary gift of insightful, but humorous writing. Maybe a future career.... I certainly enjoyed this post.

Stephanie said...

This is great!

Brian and Angela said...

I agree with Sandy, Sarah. I enjoy your insightful and full of wisdom posts. Sometimes while I am reading them I have to ask myself, "Was this taken from a daily devotional for moms or is this Sarah speaking?" Each time I am touched by the intimate thoughts presently on your heart. You have been blessed with an amazing gift. I miss you!

emily said...

i was that same mom before i had kids...3 1/2 years and 2 kids later...I am a shell of what I thought i would be! love you!

Anonymous said...

I read this aloud to my husband and daughter, Michele, and laughed so hard I could hardly read, then by the end I was in tears. You can imagine that Michele, a mother of a three year old son and one year old triplets can sure relate to your comments. Thank you for putting into words what many of us as mothers have felt. Bless you, Karen Crawford

Farrington Family said...

Sarah! I've shared this with so many moms! Thank you for your post. Well put.

I have been somewhat keeping up with you through your blog, but that's just too far removed. I have so much to share! Married in July and celebrated my first Mother's Day. Baby coming by September. I could use some advice!